2023 The 18th Digital Art Festival Taipei (DAFT) “A-Real Engine” International Open Call- General Regulations
To encourage young digital art creators and potential proposals of cross-field new media works, Digital Art Festival Taipei is launching an international call for entries, looking for works that can reflect the theme of this year’s art festival and providing a platform for exchanges between domestic creators and foreign artists.
II. Organizer and exhibition venue
Organizer｜Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government
Executive Organizer｜Digital Art Center, Taipei (DAC)
- Visual art – National Taiwan Science Education Center (Exhibition Area B1)
- Art game/artist’s game – National Taiwan Science Education Center (Exhibition Area B1)
- Video art/video installation – Digital Art Center, Taipei
According to the theme set for The 18th Digital Art Festival Taipei 2023, the focus is on the works that are developed upon the subjects of electronic games, game engines, and game-related software/hardware technologies and design mindset.
Game engines are the environments and rulesets for the development and operations of games, whereas exhibitions are the environments in which artworks are experienced and even completed. Through the concepts and elements of electronic games, artists shall create a brand-new narration method or deconstruct the game mechanism, as dismantling an engine, taking the audience to further comprehend where they are situated or even search for a pathway not controlled by the system. Each and every of them will be presented in different works in the exhibition.
Electronic games are like a fully fueled engine that continuously drives the development of digital culture; the game-related software/hardware technologies, design mindset, and user-generated contents are the freshwater injected into art creations. On the other hand, the applications of games and gamification can also blur the line between realistic/unrealistic, online/offline, and virtuality/reality. We can even say that a certain part of us is indeed living within the games.
This year, the Digital Art Festival is launching an international call for theme-related works from creators all over the world, particularly looking forward to creations that explore the game/art boundaries by deconstructing the games from different perspectives.
IV. Submission deadline
From the day the call is announced on the website to 23:59 (GMT+8) on July 31st, 2023. Online registration only (https://forms.gle/bDjEV5cPVmYWMuYj7). The results of the open call will be announced on the official DAC website in August 2023: https://dac.taipei
V. DAFT 2023 International Open Call categories
- Visual Art: New/digital media of any form; transdisciplinary creations are also acceptable. The selected works will be exhibited in the “Themed Invitational Exhibition Area” (National Taiwan Science Education Center) of the Digital Art Festival Taipei 2023.
- Art Game/Artist’s Game: Art game and independent game entries are welcomed. They shall be exhibited in the form of an experience version on the computer or mobile device. For any derivative exhibitions, it can be further discussed with the organizer. The selected works will be exhibited in the “Themed Invitational Exhibition Area” (National Taiwan Science Education Center) of the Digital Art Festival Taipei 2023.
- Video Art/Video Installation: The call is for works with new and interesting points of view, describing the relationship between audiovisual generation tools and AI technologies with the daily life of contemporary people. The selected works will be exhibited in the exhibition area of “DAFT x ARKO Video Art Screening Project” at Digital Art Center, Taipei
- Basic information of the creator/team (Biography/ Team Introduction)
- Exhibition/Award-winning experiences (utmost 5)
- Work information (work name, year of creation, length, and format)
- Work sketch or audiovisual that simulates the rendering shall be uploaded with a link and password
- Work photos (at least three photos from different angles. The resolution must be above 300dpi, and the file size should be less than 10 MB)
- Work description (200 – 500 words)
- Execution plan of the work (including the description of the necessary equipment, technology, and space)
To facilitate the judges, if the visual work (videos) or audiovisual record is provided in the form of an online link, remember to enable the ***viewing access*** until July 31st (please provide the link with the password, if any).
For the evaluation of the entries, a judging panel is formed by the organizer and external judges. The evaluation is divided into two phases:
- Phase 1 – Preliminary selection: The judges for the preliminary selection will score the documents submitted by the applicants. Those with the highest overall score shall pass to phase 2.
- Phase 2 – Final selection: A judging panel, formed by the judges from the preliminary selection and the external review judges, will conduct a discussion for the final selection. The best individual/teamwork (s) of each category will be selected. If none of the entries meet the criteria in a certain category, depending on the circumstance, no work will be selected for such a category.
- Selected works will be awarded the following material fees for creations:
- Visual Art – NTD 20,000 material fee for creations (including 20% foreigners’ tax)
- Video Art/Video Installation – NTD 10,000 material fee for creations (including 20% foreigners’ tax)
- The information about the award for the category of “Art Game / Artist’s Game” will be announced soon. Stay tuned!
VIII. Entry rules
- The work shall not be an act of plagiarism or infringement of the rights of others. All the music and images shall be original or be used with the legal authorization of the third party.
- Works that are copy paintings, plagiarize other’s works, infringe on other’s intellectual property rights, or the ownership of the works does not belong to the applicant shall not be allowed in this call for entry. In case of violation, its eligibility as a candidate shall be annulled and shall not be allowed to join the call for entry of Digital Art Festival Taipei in the next five years. If selected, the eligibility for exhibition shall be annulled. The relevant fees obtained shall be recovered and further compensation shall be claimed.
- Once selected, the candidates shall be deemed to agree to abide by the provisions of the call.
- Authors and creators of the selected works enjoy the moral rights and property rights of the works and agree to authorize Digital Art Center, Taipei, to display the works in the electronic brochure of the art festival. Within five years since the day of the call announcement, Digital Art Center, Taipei, is entitled to the right to use and sublicense the works for non-profit promotions in any area in a reasonable manner, without the need to pay any fee.
- The selected candidates shall obtain the consent and/or license of the music, images, and videos used in their creations. In the event of any dispute arising, the selected candidate shall be fully responsible.
- In consideration of the stability and safety of the works presented, the executing team may negotiate with the selected candidates in terms of the form of presentation if any safety concerns arise.
- For matters not covered in the call for entries, DAC is entitled to the right to make any revision, amendment, and/or announcement.
Digital Art Center, Taipei
Curatorial Team of the 18th Digital Art Festival Taipei
TEL: +886-2-2834-5066 #204 (Rachel C.C. Huang)